The two rotating disc contactors are the main units in this process. As shown in the screenshot of the flow diagram, there are two streams entering the columns, and two outlets. The rotation of the discs enhances the mass transfer of the component(s) from one phase to the other.
The objective of this project was to create a dynamic model of this separation process with an accuracy of ±5% which would be later connected to the Emerson DeltaV DCS.
The model of this separation process unit created by Mobatec fulfills all the specified requirements and it is successfully up and running. The main challenges were to model the mass transfer of one component from one liquid phase to the other defined as a function of the rotational speed and to take into account the role played by the density difference when modelling the relative movement of the phases inside the columns.
Advantages of using Mobatec Modeller:
1. Mobatec Modeller enables you to build the physical topology very quickly and easily with it’s user friendly interfaces.
2. Automated generation of Mass and Energy balance eliminates the possibility of errors in balance equations.
3. Base equation objects enables changing equations in multiple places just by click of a button.
4. Impress your managers with fully customizable icons and value displays and enable them to see the power of modelling through engineers eyes with high fidelity real time simulations.
5. Mobatec Modeller makes the code so no programming skills are needed from the user.
6. Mobatec Modeller is compatible with other software, easy export function to any other modelling environment.
7. Built in Thermodynamics calculations.
8. Coupling with any DCS software.